TEACHER CREATED TUTORING CENTER!
Over 47 years of Combined classroom teaching experience.
We know what your child needs!
- Summer 2016 - Acquired contract with Winter Springs High School (Seminole County) providing intense ACT prep for seniors (36 hrs.)
- 2016-2017 - Acquired contract with Seminole County Public Schools (SCPS) to provide ACT prep to designated high schools; small group instruction with a goal of helping at-risk seniors graduate with peers
- February-April 2017 - Acquired contract with Winter Springs High School to provide SAT prep to students grades 11-12
- February-April 2017 - Acquired contract with Winter Springs High School to provide FSA Reading Prep to students grades 10-12
- August 2018-present - Acquired contract with SCPS Kidzone to provide academic guidance and assistance to students at school site.
About The Pointy Pencil
Hello! I’m Candace Witherspoon Jackson and I started The Pointy Pencil to help K-12 students become the successful individuals that I know they can be.
I began this journey as a classroom teacher, tutoring on the side. I noticed how tutoring was an integral part of my students’ success and I became more and more intrigued at how this type of instruction was impacting their ability to conquer tough subjects.
Helping students become and remain successful has grown into an enthusiastic passion. I am now entirely dedicated to uncovering skills and abilities necessary for success in school, home and beyond.
My approach to tutoring is guided by my beliefs in education, including:
- All students have the ability to succeed. I believe students are talented and capable of success.
- Grades are just snapshots of a student’s true potential. I believe grades are important but are not everything.
- Learning is an ongoing and lifelong process. I believe true learning happens all around us, not just in school.
- Students’ interests play a vital role in academic understanding. I believe content should be related to the interests of the child. Learning will become more meaningful.
This is what I tell students. Grades are important but they are simply snapshots of understanding. Getting an A, B, C… will not make or break your future.
The teacher in me cringes when I say this, but our students must learn how to fail. They must learn how to come back from disappointments and letdowns. They must learn how to dedicate themselves for achievement and work for success. Then, they can truly appreciate their hard work.
Once students know this about me, they begin to relax and de-stress. They begin to let go of their fear of failure and begin proving that they can and will succeed.
The Pointy Pencil family embodies current certified teachers and professors, working professionals with a talent for teaching, retired teachers and graduate/university students. They are dedicated, excited and love working with our students!
We are honored to be in a position to help your student succeed and be successful.
Candace Witherspoon Jackson
Owner / Certified Teacher
I am a proud native of Seminole County, FL, a lifelong resident and a former Seminole County student brought up in the public school system.
I am an Oviedo High School Graduate (GO LIONS!) and I attended Florida A&M University and the University of Central Florida, graduating with my Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education. After teaching for a number of years, I returned to school to earn my M.B.A., specializing in accounting, while keeping up with the demands of classroom teaching. I have taught at an A - rated school in the Seminole County Public School District and have received a variety of accolades including nomination for Rookie Teacher of the Year and Teacher of the Year Finalist.
I expanded my educational experience by teaching overseas in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE). I taught ESL (second language learners) the basics of the English language (PHONICS!) and I utilized their chosen Common Core curriculum in an English immersion style of teaching. This was such a rewarding and life-changing experience that has only added value to my educational journey in the United States.
My musical experience:
I began my first private piano lesson at 4 years old. My parents knew the value of playing the piano and being exposed to music theory at an early age. I have 26 years of piano playing and performing experience and furthered my musical theory and knowledge at the collegiate level. I am passionate and enthusiastic about the piano and musical expression and am excited to share this eagerness with others.
When I'm not tutoring or teaching piano, I enjoy spending time outdoors, especially fishing, watching and playing sports (GO MAGIC!), reading creative literature and spending time with my family.